“The House passed HR8, a Bipartisan Background Checks Act, *5 months ago* and the Senate has yet to vote on it,” Ocasio-Cortez tweeted in response to McConnell’s own tweet. “It was one of our 1st major priorities after ending the gov shutdown. You’ve been sitting on it since February giving bogus excuses. Care to explain the people why?”POLITICIANS RESPOND TO SHOOTING AT WALMART IN EL PASOIn the wake of the mass shootings in El Paso, Texas, and Dayton, Ohio, Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., slammed Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., for failing to call a vote on a gun reform bill that the Democratically-controlled House of Representatives passed in February. McConnell tweeted on Saturday that he and the country were “horrified” by the “senseless violence” in El Paso, where a lone gunman opened fire inside a Walmart and left at least 20 people dead and dozens more wounded. Following McConnell’s tweet, another gunman attacked a popular nightlife district in Dayton in the early hours of Sunday morning. CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP“Mitch McConnell should bring the Senate back into session immediately to pass HR 8, the gun safety bill that has already passed the House,” Sanders tweeted. “That’s a first step to addressing our serious gun violence epidemic.”The measure, HR 8, was passed back in February with overwhelming support from the newly elected Democratic majority and some Republican support. Ocasio-Cortez wasn’t the only lawmaker to call on McConnell to bring the resolution to a vote in the Senate. Ocasio-Cortez called out McConnell in a tweet on Sunday for “giving bogus excuses” as to why the Senate hasn’t taken up the measure passed in the House that would tighten background checks for people seeking to purchase a firearm.Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont, a leading candidate in the 2020 Democratic presidential primary, and Sen. Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, also demanded that McConnell call the Senate back into session and take up a vote of the resolution.
Ryan, a congressman from Ohio, was speaking on Fox News’ “Sunday Morning Futures” just hours after a gunman in his home state left nine people dead and dozens more injured when he opened fire on the streets of downtown Dayton’s popular Oregon District. It was the second mass shooting in the country in less than 24 hours, following an attack by a gunman in an El Paso, Texas, Walmart that killed 20 people and left scores injured there.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPRyan lumped much of the blame for the shootings on President Trump and the “environment the president has created in the United States.”2020 Democratic presidential primary candidate Tim Ryan on Sunday called on Congress to immediately head back to session to pass a background check bill for those seeking to buy firearms and called for a ban on the purchase of assault weapons. Ryan is one of a number of Democratic presidential hopefuls who have singled out Trump’s divisive rhetoric and tough stance on issues like immigration as part of the reason why these recent mass shootings have occurred. “This is ridiculous,” he said. “ Honestly for a guy to drive 10 hours to go kill Mexicans like what happened in El Paso is sickening and I think the environment around anti-immigration, the race issues that are so polarizing today that the president throws gasoline on has got to stop.”POLITICIANS RESPOND TO SHOOTING AT WALMART IN EL PASOBeto O’Rourke, a former Texas congressman whose district includes El Paso, said earlier on Sunday that he believes Trump is a white nationalist and likened the president’s language to that of Nazi Germany’s “Third Reich.”Ryan added: We’ve got to bring this country together, we’ve got to heal and it’s got to start at the top. The president needs to take a leadership role in this, he’s got to stop being so divisive, he’s got to stop tipping his hat to the white nationalists, and sometimes overtly to them, to where he’s talking to some crazy guy who’s going to drive 10 hours to shoot Mexicans.””This cannot be open for debate and you, as well as I, have a responsibility to call that out to make sure the American people know what is being done in their name,” O’Rourke added. “He doesn’t even pretend to respect our differences or understand we are all created equal. He is saying some people are inherently defected.””Let’s be very clear about what is causing this and who the president is,” O’Rourke said on CNN’s “State of the Union.” “He is an open avowed racist and encouraging more racism in this country.”“We’ve got to do something,” Ryan said. “I’m calling on the president and the Congress to come back in session…let’s do the work in Washington. Do the background check bill that we passed out of the House. We’ve got to ban these assault weapons.”
And he deployed a trendy put-down to call out Meadows for committing the social media sin of not tagging him: “@ me next time, bruh.”Fox News’ Brooke Singman and Jake Gibson contributed to this report.Comey, during June 2017 testimony, said he deliberately leaked a memo in order to prompt the appointment of a special counsel.It remains unclear how tough the IG report will be on Comey, but the review pertains to memos he wrote memorializing his interactions with President Trump in the days leading up to his firing. He then passed those documents to a friend, Columbia University Law Professor Daniel Richman, who gave them to The New York Times. Comey admitted to that arrangement during congressional testimony.The report related to Comey’s leaks is separate from DOJ Inspector General Michael Horowitz’s review of alleged Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) abuses.CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APPDOJ WILL NOT PROSECUTE COMEY FOR LEAKING MEMOS: SOURCESThe light-hearted feud belies the apparent severity of the Justice Department inspector general’s investigation. Officials confirmed Thursday that following a referral from the IG, the department has decided against prosecuting Comey for leaking classified information.“As the IG report on Comey approaches, we’re getting the sound of silence. No Comey tweets. No softball interviews,” he tweeted. “Must be tougher when you get questioned by a DOJ Inspector General. The truth is coming. His actions will come to light. And the verdict won’t be pretty.”After the fact, the FBI classified two of those memos as “confidential.”James Comey tangled with Rep. Mark Meadows in the Twitter arena overnight after the Republican congressman accused the feisty former FBI director of going silent ahead of the release of what could be a damaging inspector general report.“I didn’t consider it part of an FBI file,” Comey told Fox News’ Bret Baier last year. “It was my personal aide-memoire…I always thought of it as mine.”FBI AGENTS RETRIEVED MEMOS FROM COMEY’S HOUSEComey hit back, tweeting that he’s simply waiting “for facts” before speaking publicly and suggesting he’s not concerned – before calling out Meadows for not following the Twitter code of honor:Comey, whom Trump fired in May 2017, denied that sharing the memos with his legal team constituted a leak of classified information. Instead, he compared the process to keeping “a diary.”On May 17, Robert Mueller was appointed as special counsel to lead the Russia investigation.But Fox News is told the release of Horowitz’s report is “imminent.” And Meadows, R-N.C., entered the fray by suggesting the report will contain damaging details for Comey. The New York Times published the report with Comey’s memos on May 16, 2017, revealing the contents of the memo which said the president asked him to shut down the federal investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn in an Oval Office meeting.“I love transparency. I just wait for facts before I talk about them. I’m confident the results of all IG reports will show honest public servants worked hard to protect this country from a threat this president and his enablers won’t acknowledge. And @ me next time, bruh.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP President Trump was accused of being a racist following a nasty feud with Rep. Elijah Cummings, D-Md. Trump responded to Cummings’ recent criticism of conditions in detention centers along the U.S.-Mexico border by accusing the black congressman’s predominately African-American district in Baltimore of being “a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess.”MARYLAND MAN ALLEGEDLY ATTACKED FOR WEARING MAGA HAT SAYS IT WON’T STOP HIM FROM PUTTING IT ON AGAINJamal Lewis, 48, posted a photo of himself wearing a matching “Make Racism Wrong Again” black hat and T-shirt in front of his home in Pittsburgh. The motto, which parallels President Trump’s 2016 campaign slogan “Make America Great Again,” received a mixed reaction from shoppers at Lewis’ local Walmart, he said in a July 27 post. “Needless to say I was shocked. In my 48 years on this Earth, that was the first time I’ve ever seen that,” Lewis said. The post has been shared more than 600 times and liked more than 1,600 times as of Friday morning. Lewis said that he experiences a “large amount of open in your face racism” in Pennsylvania. He specifically mentioned one instance when he allegedly observed a white man wearing a “Make America Great Again” hat and dawning a swastika tattoo on his arm walking by his house while he was sitting outside with his children. “Went to Walmart rocking my Make Racism Wrong Again gear! Lol! So many dirty looks. A couple of compliments. One thing I’ve learned about living in Western Pennsylvania. It is one of the most racist places I’ve ever lived,” Lewis wrote above a photo of himself smiling. The Rev. Al Sharpton, founder of the civil rights group Nation Action Network, urged Republicans in Congress to public condemn Trump’s tweets. Several Democratic lawmakers traveled to Baltimore amid the controversy to see what living conditions were like in the Maryland city.A Pennsylvania man went viral for wearing “Make Racism Wrong Again” apparel to his local Walmart.
The chief executive of a major RV retailer said he will not bend to a North Carolina’s city’s demand he reduce the size of an American flag flying on his property.
Camping World CEO Marcus Lemonis dismissed the $50-per-day fine, criticism from the Statesville government and prospect of future imprisonment in an interview Monday with Martha MacCallum on “The Story.”
“The ordinance doesn’t matter to me,” he said, referring to the law governing the size of flags.
“If you look at the North Carolina statute, it says as long as it’s not impairing someone’s health and well-being it’s not a big deal.”
Lemonis then added local politicians told him the flag could endanger someone because of its size and its proximity to Interstate 77.
“They made the claim it could cause an accident on the freeway because it was too distracting — it was too beautiful,” he said of the 40×80-foot banner.
However, he admitted keeping the flag as-is is against the law.
“There’s no question that I violated that ordinance,” the businessman added.
“When veterans show up at the stores for the flag raisings, and when they come on Saturdays and do their veteran rides, and they weep at the bottom of the flagpole, that’s the conviction that I need to say it’s just not going to come down. I would rather go to jail.”
MacCallum asked Lemonis if he could possibly be imprisoned.
The businessman responded it was a distinct possibility, but reiterated he was not concerned.
“The city of Statesville filed a lawsuit about two months ago,” he said.
“If I don’t take it down I will be in violation of the court order. Ultimately, their reaction is from the city is that I will go to jail.”