NewsMax

Ron Johnson: 'Concerned' About Trump's Emergency Declaration

Sen. Ron Johnson, R-Wis., said Sunday he’s “concerned” about President Donald Trump’s declaration of a national emergency to build his long-promised border wall, saying Congress' role has become "really diminished."

In an interview on NBC News’ “Meet The Press,” Johnson argued Trump has the authority yet “I wish he wouldn’t use it in this case… I understand his frustration.”

“I think many of us are concerned about this,” he added, regarding whether the declaration is overreach. “[P]ast Congresses have given any executive, any administration way too much power. And this would be another expansion of that power.”

“Right now, the presidency is probably the most powerful, and then the courts,” he said. “And Congress is really diminished. And we should start taking back that congressional authority.”

He said he’s not decided, however, if he’ll support a resolution to disapprove of Trump’s national emergency declaration.

“I’m going to take a look at the case the president makes,” he said. “And I'm also going to take a look at how quickly this money is actually going to be spent, versus what he's going to use…. I'll decide when I actually have to vote on it.”

Source: NewsMax Politics

Jim Jordan: Congress Won't Override Veto Blocking Natl Emergency

Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio, on Sunday predicted there won’t be enough votes in Congress to override a veto of any resolution to counter President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration.

In an interview with ABC News’ “This Week,” the founding member of the hard-right House Freedom Caucus also rejected the idea that Trump is breaking precedent by getting denied an appropriation but spending it anyway — saying Trump is fulfilling a campaign promise.

“Congress said, it's OK for some [money] but the president said, ‘this is such a grave problem, I need more money to build more wall and to fulfill the campaign promise that I told the American people I was going to do,’” Jordan argued.

And he predicted any congressional effort to stop him will fail.

“There’s going to be resolutions in both the House and Senate to – to disapprove what the president’s doing,” he said. “I think they’ll pass but when the president will veto them, I don’t think there’s any chance that the veto will be overridden.”

“It’s going to be settled in court,” he added.

Jordan also chided Congress for ignoring the multiple caravans of migrants that have come to the United Statess seeking asylum.

“How many caravans do we need? Six or seven or does an endless caravan, the one that never stops?” he asked.

He added that Democratic positions on abolishing Immigration and Customs Enforcement, open borders and illegal immigrant protections are “dangerous.”

“Those are the positions that scare me," he said.

Source: NewsMax Politics

Ex-Cambridge Analytica Director Cooperating With Mueller Probe

Special counsel Robert Mueller is seeking answers from a second former employee of data firm Cambridge Analytica as his team investigates allegations of collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia.

According to The Guardian, Brittany Kaiser — who was a business development director for the analytics firm before it closed in May 2018 — received a subpoena from Mueller's team. She is reportedly cooperating with the probe.

Kaiser's spokesman confirmed to the news outlet that she is also working with other U.S. investigations, including those in Congress, into the 2016 election collusion claims.

Cambridge Analytica worked on more than 200 elections across the world between 2013 and 2018. It's work during the 2016 U.S. presidential campaign has come under intense scrutiny.

It was reported last year that the firm mishandled data belonging to more than 50 million Facebook users as President Donald Trump was campaigning for office.

The firm has also been accused of trying to partner with WikiLeaks to hunt for Democrat Hillary Clinton's 33,000 emails that were deleted after she served as secretary of state. The Trump campaign contracted with the company to obtain digital data.

Source: NewsMax Politics

Trump Rails Against 'SNL,' Again, And Suggests 'Retribution' for NBC

President Trump once again took aim at "Saturday Night Live," suggesting that there should be a price to pay by TV networks for delivering such scathing satire.

"Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!" Trump wrote on Sunday morning.

On Saturday's show, "SNL" opened with a sketch featuring Alec Baldwin as Trump and mocking the president's declaration of a national emergency to secure funding for a wall along the southern border. The skit skewered Trump's Rose Garden announcement on Friday as a meandering series of pronouncements.

"We need wall, because wall works. Wall makes safe. You don't have to be smart to understand that, and in fact it's even easier to understand if you're not that smart."

This was the seventh tweet that Trump has sent out blasting "Saturday Night Live" since he hosted the show in November 2015 in the midst of his presidential campaign. But he's lately been suggesting that some sort of legal action should be taken against NBC.

"A REAL scandal is the one sided coverage, hour by hour, of networks like NBC & Democrat spin machines like Saturday Night Live. It is all nothing less than unfair news coverage and Dem commercials. Should be tested in courts, can't be legal? Only defame & belittle! Collusion?" he wrote on Dec. 16.

Some presidents have taken "Saturday Night Live" with good humor. President George H.W. Bush invited Dana Carvey to the White House after Carvey impersonated him on the show during the 1992 presidential campaign. In 1976, Gerald R. Ford all but embraced Chevy Chase's portrayal of him as a klutz by inviting the comedian to the White House and even doing a cameo on "SNL."

Source: NewsMax Politics

Rep. Pete King Blames Ocasio-Cortez For Amazon's NYC Pullout

Amazon would have stayed the course with its planned New York City campus if Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., was not an outspoken critic of the deal, Rep. Pete King, R-N.Y., said Sunday.

King was on "The Cats Roundtable" radio show with John Catsimatidis and discussed the project that was canceled earlier this week.

"If Joe Crowley was still the congressman, it wouldn’t have happened," King said.

Crowley, a Democrat, served in the House for 20 years. Ocasio-Cortez, a self-described Democratic Socialist who previously worked as a New York City bartender, beat him in last year's Democratic primary and then went on to win the seat in the November midterm election.

"The Democrats now control everything. If the Republicans controlled the state Senate, this would not have happened. And the fact is, that is where it was really killed," said King, referring to New York's Democratic-controlled state legislature.

Ocasio-Cortez and other critics of the Amazon deal, which would have created 25,000 jobs in Long Island City, said the state went too far in offering the online retail giant tax incentives. After multiple discussions, Amazon said Thursday the planned project was canceled.

"It's like putting a sign up that you can't do business in New York," King said Sunday. "Nothing is ever perfect, but in this case, it was as close to it as you're going to get."

Source: NewsMax Politics

Rush: Justice Dept. Reported 25th Amendment Talks 'Silent Coup'

Justice Department officials’ reported discussions about using the 25th Amendment to oust President Donald Trump was “a silent coup,” radio host Rush Limbaugh said Sunday.

In a interview on “Fox News Sunday,” the conservative Trump ally railed at the explosive remarks by former FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe in a "60 Minutes" interview set to air Sunday.

Limbaugh said the intent of the reported discussions was clear — and that those involved ought to be jailed.

“People unelected, simply because they don't … like where he came from… decide …the American people's decision was invalid and began a systematic process to get him thrown out of office. This is a silent coup,” he said.

“These guys, if you ask me, ought to be the ones in jail. They are to be the ones under investigation. What they have done working with agents in the Obama intelligence agencies is simply unprecedented."

Limbaugh also railed at political attempts by “both parties”  to dump the president.

“Both parties have people that are still trying to get rid of Donald Trump,” he said, saying even legislative efforts regarding illegal immigrants carry a message to voters that “electing Trump was pointless, worthless, he can't protect you, you can't stop us, he can't do what he said he was going to do because we hate him so much were not going to allow him to do that.” 

Related Stories:

Source: NewsMax Politics

Kaepernick's Lawyer Predicts NFL Return

Now that Colin Kaepernick has settled his collusion grievances with the NFL, the next step is getting him back in the league, his lawyer said Saturday night.

Attorney Mark Geragos told CNN that Kaepernick "absolutely wants to play" and made a pretty bold prediction about when that might happen.

"I think you're going to see … within the next two weeks that somebody is going to step up and do the right thing, and you want me to predict who?" Geragos asked, per ESPN. "Besides the Panthers, it would not surprise me if Bob Kraft makes a move."

Kraft, the owner of the New England Patriots, is among the founders of an organization launched last month to seek criminal justice reform.

The settlement of the grievance filed by Kaepernick and Eric Reid was announced in a joint statement released by their attorneys and the league on Friday.

"For the past several months, counsel for Mr. Kaepernick and Mr. Reid have engaged in an ongoing dialog with representatives of the NFL," the statement reads. "As a result of those discussions, the parties have decided to resolve the pending grievances. The resolution of this matter is subject to a confidentiality agreement so there will be no further comment by any party."

According to Yahoo Sports, the final hearing in the players' joint collusion case against the NFL was scheduled for later this month. Yahoo added that sources previously said Kaepernick would only withdraw his grievance for a lucrative settlement.

The NFL Players Association released a statement supporting the resolution.

"Today, we were informed by the NFL of the settlement of the Colin Kaepernick and Eric Reid collusion cases," the statement reads. "We are not privy to the details of the settlement, but support the decision by the players and their counsel. We continuously supported Colin and Eric from the start of their protests, participated with their lawyers throughout their legal proceedings and were prepared to participate in the upcoming trial in pursuit of both truth and justice for what we believe the NFL and its clubs did to them.

"We are glad that Eric has earned a job and a new contract, and we continue to hope that Colin gets his opportunity as well."

Kaepernick filed his grievance in October 2017, alleging collusion by NFL owners to keep him out of the league, as he remained unsigned as a free agent through the fall after opting out of a contract with the San Francisco 49ers that spring. A number of owners, executives, coaches and other figures have been deposed as part of the grievance, and a motion by the NFL to have the grievance dismissed was denied in August.

Reid, who was the first player to join Kaepernick in 2016 with the 49ers by kneeling during the national anthem in protest, filed his own collusion case against the NFL in May 2018. It appears the two grievances were combined into a joint case, but it's unclear when that occurred.

Reid became a free agent in March 2018 and remained unsigned until mid-September, when the Carolina Panthers brought him in after an injury to safety Da'Norris Searcy. With his one-year deal expiring after the season, Reid signed a three-year extension for a reported $22 million with Carolina last week.

The 31-year-old Kaepernick remains unsigned, having not played a game since the 2016 regular-season finale. He led the 49ers to a Super Bowl XLVII appearance after the 2012 season.

Source: NewsMax America

Stephen Miller: Trump Will Veto Any Bill Against Emergency Declaration

President Donald Trump “guaranteed” will veto any move by Congress to counter his declaration of a national emergency to fully fund a border wall, senior White House policy adviser Stephen Miller said Sunday.

In an interview on “Fox News Sunday,” Miller was pressed on Trump’s response if Congress were ever to pass a resolution of disapproval of Friday’s controversial declaration. 

“He will protect his national emergency declaration, guaranteed,” he said in response to whether Trump would veto the resolution.

In the interview, Miller fiercely defended the emergency declaration as host Chris Wallace challenged him to provide historic precedent, noting that the 59 times the National Emergencies Act was invoked, two were for military construction funds.

"This is hardly comparable to either of those," Wallace said of Trump’s border wall project.

"Can you name one foreign threat in the world today outside this country’s borders that currently kills more Americans than the threats crossing our southern border?" Miller retorted.

"You know, the joy of this is I get to ask you questions," Wallace shot back. "You don’t get to ask me."

Wallace drilled down on whether there's ever been another instance of a president not getting money from Congress and then declaring a national emergency to allow the diversion of federal funding.

“Answer my question,” Wallace insisted after Miller didn't provide a definitive response. “Can you name one case where a president has asked Congress for money, Congress has refused, and the president has then invoked national powers to get the money anyway? …yes or no, sir.”

“The premise of the question is also false,” Miller finally replied.

During his defense of the president, Miller also took a hard jab at former President George W. Bush for choosing “to ignore this crisis” at the border.

Let's start with …border crossings in the year 2000.,” Miller argued. “As you know, George Bush came into office, illegal immigration doubled from 6 million to 12 million by the time he left office. That represented an astonishing betrayal of the American people.”

Source: NewsMax Politics

Dershowitz Says Trump Emergency Goes Against Constitution

Attorney Alan Dershowitz thinks President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration was a "mistake," he admitted in a new interview.

"There will be a lawsuit. No doubt about it. It will be tied up in the courts for a long time," Dershowitz said on Sunday's "The Cats Roundtable" radio radio show, hosted by billionaire businessman John Catsimatidis.

"My own view is that it was a mistake to do it. I think emergencies are things that happened suddenly. The problems with immigration are long-term."

Trump declared the emergency on Friday in order to secure more funding to build a border barrier between the United States and Mexico. Lawmakers struck a deal to stave off a government shutdown by allocating $1.375 billion for the barrier, far less than the $5.7 billion Trump requested.

Trump's emergency order resulted in roughly $6 billion from the Pentagon's budget and $600 million from the Treasury Department being shifted over to use for the border barrier, Bloomberg reported. Dershowitz said the executive order flies in the face of the Constitution.

"The Constitution requires that all spending bills originate in the House of Representatives. This is a way of circumventing that provision of the Constitution," he said.

Source: NewsMax Politics

With Nauert Out, Who Now For UN Ambassador?

The stunning news Saturday night that Heather Nauert has withdrawn as the President’s choice for ambassador to the United Nations immediately triggered speculation on who the President would tap to represent the US in the international forum.

In effect, the Administration — and the press — were back to where they were in October of last year when then-Ambassador Nikki Haley announced her resignation from the U.N. post.

Among those mentioned for the job at the time were Nauert, then undersecretary and top spokeswoman at the U.S. State Department; Richard Grennell, U.S. ambassador to Germany and a top spokesman for three former U.N. ambassadors; and Kevin Moley, assistant secretary of state for International Organizations and formerly head of a private nonprofit group to feed the hungry known as Project Concern, International.

With Nauert gone, both Moley and Grennell were the subject of immediate speculation for the U.N.. Whether either wanted to leave their present positions is unclear at this time.

Also discussed for the position is former Sen. Kelley Ayotte, R.-N.H. who lost a “squeaker” for re-election in 2016. Ayotte has since won high marks from the White House for helping to shepherd the nomination of Justice Neil Gorsuch to the Supreme Court.

One fresh and intriguing prospect just starting to be discussed for the U.N. slot is Fiona Hill, special Assistant to the President and Senior Director for European and Russian Affairs on his National Security Council staff. Hill, a highly-rated Kremlinologist who has written three much-praised books on Russian politics.

Still another name mentioned is that of former Rep. Luke Messer, R-Ind,who lost a three-way primary for the U.S. Senate nomination in the Hoosier State. Messer, who served on the House Foreign Affairs Committee and chaired the House Republican Policy Committee, would likely have the strong support of his close friend Vice President Mike Pence.

In naming Ayotte or Messer, Trump would continue the past tradition of Republican presidents to nominate defeated candidates for office to the U.N. ambassadorship and thus give them a chance to stay in public life and move on to greater things. In 1952, President Eisenhower named to the U.N. Henry Cabot Lodge, who had just lost re-election to his Senate seat in Massachusetts to John Kennedy and in 1970, President Nixon tapped George H.W. Bush to the U.N. after the former Texas congressman lost a Senate race.

Both Lodge and Bush ended up on GOP national tickets.

John Gizzi is chief political columnist and White House correspondent for Newsmax. For more of his reports, Go Here Now.

Source: NewsMax Politics


Current track

Title

Artist